Nyanko no Doujinshi

にゃん同へようこそ!
Welcome to Nyanko no Doujinshi (にゃん子の同人誌) (or Nyandou (にゃん同) for short) :) I am your host, Nyanko (にゃん子) This is a world of MAGIC and WONDER...erm...no...it's full of doujinshi and reviews...of mostly Howl's Moving Castle doujinshi! Howl ♥


Feel free to post your opinions/reviews about the doujinshi, also!

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

NyanDou Doujinshi FAQ

I just dived into doujinshi because I wanted more Howl. I didn't know the first thing about them, so there were a lot of things I didn't quite "get". There were a lot of terms I didn't know...and lots of other stuff...and I STILL don't know much. Here's a bit of what I have figured out (this is a work in progress ^^;):
  1. A5: This is a standard metric paper size. This doesn't seem to be as popular as B5. I measured my A5 doujinshi and got a width of 5.81" and height of 8.25". ProAV says it is 5.83 x 8.27 inches.
  2. B5: This is also a metric paper size. This seems to be the size most doujinshi are. ProAV says it is 6.93 x 9.84 inches.
  3. Circle (サークル): A group (or a single person) of artists/writers who get together to create a doujinshi.
  4. Chara (キャラ): This may also be spelled "kyara"? This is an abbreviation for "character".
  5. Copybon (コピー本): A doujinshi that the author/circle has literally copied machined and stapled together. It sounds like this happens when the author/circle can't meet the printer's deadlines. This is the same thing as "copyshi".
  6. Copyshi (コピー誌): A doujinshi that the author/circle has literally copied machined and stapled together. It sounds like this happens when the author/circle can't meet the printer's deadlines. This is the same thing as "copybon".
  7. Doujin (同人): This is an abbreviation for "doujinshi".
  8. DJ: This seems to be an neat English abbreviation for "doujinshi".
  9. Guest (ゲスト): When one someone else other than the circle/author writes a piece for the circle/author's doujinshi, the someone else is called a "guest".
  10. HowSophi(ハウソフィ): This is a Japanese abbreviation of "Howl x Sophie" :)
  11. Off (オフ): This is an abbreviation of "offset": a printing style using a transfer of ink. In doujinshi-land, this seems to mean that the book is bound.
  12. Offset (オフセット): This is a printing style using a transfer of ink. In doujinshi-land, this seems to mean that the book is bound.
  13. ProAV: The first site that Google listed with definitions of metric paper sizes.
  14. Sairokushu (再録集): A doujinshi that is a compliation of previously published doujinshi. These are bigger (of course), and probably more worth your money...only most sellers don't write that these are a collection of previously published ones...so you might buy it, but already have all of the stories :(
  15. Yonkoma (4コマ・四コマ): These are usually (almost always) gag parodies. Just as the Japanese says, there are 4 komas (squares/areas, erm...I don't know the cartoon word for this) on the page.
Some other Doujinshi FAQs (if I've taken information from them, they would be credited in the definition of the term. Non-credited definitions are things I found out on my own just by reading the actual doujinshi/buying them/collecting them):
  1. Vivisection FAQ from the Vivisection. I found this during a Google search. I have yet to read the rest of the site ^^; ...but I learned that it's possible that the circles don't want their websites linked to! Eeek! I'll have to take out links later on tonight... :*(
  2. This was interesting, though I don't think I learned anything new...but why didn't I think to go to Wikipedia first?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home